If you've still got questions regarding Ambassadors Connect or any of HOBY's programs, our Associate Director of Development, Eugene Durham, would be happy to hear from you.
Once you attend any HOBY program, either in the U.S. or abroad, you are part of the HOBY alumni network and can participate in many opportunities open to HOBY alumni. These include Leadership for Service, where alumni can earn the Presidential Service Award; Academic All-Stars, where alumni can wear a special cord at graduation; and many other scholarship and special programs available only to HOBY alumni.
Leadership for Service (L4S)
HOBY’s Leadership for Service Program (L4S), a national community service program, was created exclusively for HOBY alumni to:
- Raise the public's awareness of young people as a resource for community problem-solving
- Prepare young people who have attended HOBY to take on meaningful roles in community improvement initiatives
- Develop and foster the capacity of individuals, organizations, and institutions to provide meaningful service and leadership opportunities for youth.
Through L4S, HOBY alumni are encouraged to continue logging all of their community service and volunteer experiences in the years following their participation in a Community Leadership Workshop (CLeW), a State Leadership Seminar, the World Leadership Congress (WLC), and other International HOBY programs. The L4S log can be printed and used as an appendix for college applications, scholarship applications, internship applications, and other opportunities where alumni are asked to demonstrate their lifelong commitment to service.
If you'd like more information about the Leadership for Service Program (L4S) program and how to get started participating in it click below:L4S Alumni Guide (PDF)
For step-by-step instructions on how to use the HOBY website to log your Leadership for Service Program (L4S) hours click below:Instructions for the Website (PDF)
Alumni can begin to log hours here:LOG HOURS PASSWORD REQUEST
A HOBY Academic All-Star needs to be a HOBY alumnus who has completed the 12th grade or has earned their college degree by the spring of 2019 with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher. After approval of an online application, Academic All-Stars will receive a certificate and official HOBY honor cord to wear at graduation. In addition, each participant will be included on the Academic All-Stars Honor Roll.
All-Stars must have a cumulative weighted 3.5+ GPA on a 4.0 scale. (If schools do not use a 4.0 scale, guidance counselors will need to convert grades accordingly. If the school does not weigh GPAs, cumulative unweighted GPA should be used.)
- Application fee is $40 plus $7.95 shipping, and applications and payments are due by February 12, 2020.
Other Alumni Opportunities
Who Attends: - As a HOBY alumnus, you become part of a large international network of Ambassadors who are all part of the HOBY family and dedicated to a life of service. This network has been invaluable to many alumni as they enroll in college, look for career advice, move to a new city, or just want to interact and make new friends with a similar set of values and dedication to service. HOBY also has many formal programs available after participation in a CLeW, a State Seminar or the World Leadership Congress. These include mentorships, social events, and community service opportunities through HOBY partners and fellow alumni.
From Parents: - I never thought there would be such a large network of HOBY alumni all willing to lend a hand and help me in so many ways after I graduated high school. HOBY Ambassadors are all willing to support each other, and it is a great group to be part of.
Outcomes: - Alumni who participate in one or more of HOBY’s Ambassadors Connect programs:
- Develop new relationships with HOBY alumni outside their seminar experience
- Make professional contacts from around the U.S. and their local communities
- Get the opportunity to apply for and receive college scholarship funds
- Interact with business leaders with the opportunity for a college internship and career after graduation
- Continue on a path to identify their personal values and set goals
- Participate in community service projects
- Socialize and attend events and alumni gatherings
- Build a network of other students, volunteers, and leaders outside of their school and local community
Piece of the Pathway: - The path HOBY has created for a young person to discover and develop their leadership skills is a tremendous opportunity that extends well beyond his or her high school years. HOBY’s Pathway to Leadership offers the opportunity to put leadership skills into action while leading a life of service. It can provide lifelong friendships, mentorship programs, internships, scholarships, new connections, social activities, and contacts around the world. HOBY alumni continue to benefit from their HOBY experience through Ambassadors Connect, because at HOBY, you become part of something bigger.